Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Road Paved With Infertility... Still Leads to a Baby.



Unexplained Infertility.
I don’t think any woman expects to hear those two words.  The proper response: I suppose the positive was that nothing was wrong with me.  So essentially nothing is medically wrong, but you still cannot get pregnant.  As comforting as that may seem, it only made me feel worse.  Not only did we burn through a good amount of money, we also burned through our emotional stability.  I wanted something to be wrong!  I wished for a few abnormal cells, maybe a tiny cyst, anything!   As long there's a reason for infertility, and then we can nip it in the butt.  But no, there's no logical reason.  That's pretty much worst case scenario for someone like me.  For women, our body is under our control, even when everything else is awry.  We think we know our bodies so well, of course it can't fail us for something so important.  If you can't control the function of your body, well, then what do you have!  We are brought up knowing, if you want it, you will grow up and have kids one day.  So in my naivety, I never considered the other outcome: Infertility.  I don't live in a fantasy world, but I just knew we were meant to have a baby, and so I would get pregnant.  Let me tell you a little secret about what we want or expect; It does not always work out.
In fact, expectations will almost always fail you.  When we expect things to go our way, what we're really saying is that we deserve it.  So yes, I expected to get pregnant.  I mean, why wouldn't I?  I was young, healthy, and we wanted a baby.  It was actually extremely selfish on my part.  I have learned, the hard way, that things always work out, just not in the way we want or expect. 

So here we are, we're having a baby!  Is it me? No. Does it matter? No. The whole point in trying to get pregnant is to become a mom;  I've realized that I will still be a mom, so any particulars don't really matter.  Some women know that they do not want children, so their lives follow that path.  I knew I wanted a baby, and my path has led me in that direction.  I am grateful for the experience, and find it rather humbling.  A little humility is enough to put me back in my place, along with a little appreciation for the things I cannot control.  Luckily, I have the best partner I could possibly have, and she happens to have a mighty fine uterus.  :)
The journey itself, of being the other mother, well that's going to be quite the story, so stay tuned...

I have lots to share, although not all of it wisdom, and I hope this story enlightens some or helps those in similar positions.  Homosexual or Heterosexual, creating a family is something that should be a united front.


P.S. We are a little over 13 weeks along, and we find out the sex sometime around the 18th.. if this little nugget cooperates!

                                              This was our announcemnt photo online...


"No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings."
William Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment